EPFO (Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation), assigns UAN for everyone who contributes to PF.
What is a UAN – Universal Account Number?
A UAN is a 12 digit unique account number assigned to all members of EPFO. Your UAN is the key to accessing your pension amount.
Earlier, we had multiple PF account numbers. Every time you switch a job, you’ll get a new account.
Think of the modern workforce. If you switch 25 companies in your lifetime, by the time you retire, you will have 25 different account numbers to manage.
UAN consolidates all your PF into one.
The next time to switch to a new employer, all you need to do is provide them with your UAN. Your new employer can transfer your old PF to themselves automatically. No more hassles!
How to Get UAN?
#1: Check your payslip
Your employer often shares UAN. It’s usually printed on your payslip. If your payslip does not have it, log in to the HR software your company uses. Your profile information might have the UAN.
#2: Your SMS Inbox
EPFO sends you regular SMS with your contribution Balance. The sender’s name is usually EPFOHO.
The SMS looks as follows:
Dear <UAN>, your passbook balance against <pf account id> is Rs XX,XXX/-. Contribution of Rs XXXX/- for due month <mmYYYY> has been received.
#3: Get your UAN from the EPFO website
You can get the details directly from the EPFO website. Follow the steps outlined below to get your UAN.
- Visit the official EPFO website
- Use the “Know Your UAN” link
- Enter your registered mobile number and captcha. Verify using OTP
- On successful OTP authentication, enter the details requested. You can provide either your PAN, AADHAAR, or Member ID to view your UAN
- If the details you submit match the EPFO records, your UAN will be displayed in a pop-up
How to Activate Your UAN?
If you recently received your UAN, you’ll probably need to activate it.
Activate UAN using the EPFO website.
Follow the steps outlined below to activate your UAN.
- Go to the EPFO website.
- Under important links towards the bottom right, click on “Activate UAN”.
- Enter a few basic details to get the PIN
- Once you receive the Authorization PIN, submit the PIN to activate your UAN.
Activate UAN using the UMANG App
Alternatively, if you use the UMANG app, the service to activate your UAN is available through the app.
- Install the UMANG app for the Play Store or app store
- Create an account
- Search for EPFO. Out of all the search results, select the one that says EPFO
- Click on “Employee Centric Services”
- Scroll down to “UAN Activation” and click on it
- Fill out the required information
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Is UAN Mandatory?
A: Yes, in most cases. It’s mandatory to quote your UAN while withdrawing money from your PF account – online or offline.
However, there is some relaxation to this rule if you retired before January 1, 2014. On a case-by-case basis, the officer-in-charge can also choose to allow you to withdraw PF without a UAN.
Q: My employer did not give me a UAN. Can I create one?
A: Yes. If you have a mobile linked to your Aadhaar, you can generate a UAN by yourself.
Follow the steps below to generate a UAN:
- Visit the EPFO Website
- Under the “Important Links,” click on “Direct UAN Allotment by Employees”
- Enter your mobile number linked to Aadhaar and follow the steps to generate a UAN. You will receive your UAN via SMS to your registered mobile number